Customer-hosted instances may be unable to enable actions from the Looker Action Hub, especially actions that support streamed results or that use OAuth, if the customer-hosted Looker instance does not fulfill these requirements.
See the Sharing Data Through an Action Hub documentation page for suggested solutions to this potential issue.
Starting in Looker 7.4, you can use Looker's secure OAuth-based Google Drive action to send Looks, Explores, and dashboards from Looker to Google Drive on a one-off or recurring basis. The Google Drive action is integrated with Looker through the Looker Action Hub. Once the Looker admin has enabled the Google Drive action in the Action Hub, users can select Google Drive as a possible destination when sending or scheduling Looks, Explores, and dashboards.
Since the Google Drive action leverages Google OAuth, users will only be able to deliver content to the Drive folders that that their Google credentials enable them to access. The Google Drive action enables users to connect their Google Drive to Looker using Google Oauth so that they can store files in their Google Drive folders.
This article walks admins through enabling the Google Drive action. It also describes how any user with the appropriate permissions can send or schedule data deliveries to a Google Drive folder.
Enabling the Google Drive Action in Looker
Looker admins can enable the Google Drive action in Looker with the following steps:
- Go the Admin panel and, under Platform, go to the Actions page.
- On the list of Action Hub actions, scroll to Google Drive and click the Enable button.
- On the Google Drive action page, toggle on the Enabled switch and click Save.
- When you return to the list of Action Hub actions, your Google Drive action should be enabled!
You and your users — if they have
send_to_integrations permissions — can now send or schedule Looks, Explores, and dashboards to a Google Drive folder.
Delivering Data to a Google Drive Folder
Any Looker user with
send_to_integrations permissions can send or schedule Looks, Explores, or dashboards to a Google Drive folder as shown below:
Your format options to send and schedule dashboards include:
- CSV (Zip file) — if delivering a zip file, each tile on your dashboard will be delivered as a separate CSV file. You can unzip the file in the Cloud with a Chrome extension or you can unzip it from your Drive.
Your format options to send and schedule Looks or Explores include:
- JSON — Simple
- JSON — Label
- JSON — Simple, Inline
- JSON — Detailed, Inline
To send or schedule your content:
- From the Send or Schedule pop-up, next to Where should this data go? select Google Drive as your delivery destination.
- If you're delivering to Google Drive for the first time, you'll need to authenticate with your Google credentials. Click Login, specify your Google account, and then click Allow to connect your Looker account to your Google OAuth credentials. You can connect only one set of Google Oauth credentials to this integration.
- In the Send or Schedule pop-up, click Verify credentials to load your Google Drive.
- From the Select Drive to save file drop-down, choose the Drive where your file will be saved.
- From the Select folder to save file drop-down, choose the Google Drive folder where your file will be saved.
- Type in a name for the file in the Enter a name field. Include the file extension for your data format in the filename.
- Advanced options for customizing your content delivery depend on the data format. Click Send or Schedule.
- Refresh your Google Drive folder to see your file delivery.
Your files will not be overwritten or renamed during subsequent deliveries of files with the same filename, so if you have scheduled content for repeated delivery, your Drive folder will contain multiple files of the same name.