In addition to delivering content to Looker's built-in destinations, you can deliver content to third-party services integrated with Looker via an action hub server. Looker hosts and provides a stateless server called the Looker Action Hub, which implements Looker's Action API and exposes popular actions for all Looker users.
Looker is already integrated with several services (or actions), including Slack, but admins need to connect Slack to the Looker Action Hub and enable Slack in the Looker Actions panel before Looker can send the results of a query or a dashboard directly to Slack as an attached file.
For more information about enabling the Slack integration in Looker, see this README file.
Delivering Data to Slack
- First, Looker admins must enable Slack in the Looker Actions panel.
- Create your query or dashboard, and then schedule a data delivery or use the Send option for a one-time delivery.
- When configuring the schedule or sending your data, choose the Slack Attachment option in the Destination field. Looker will display delivery options that are specific to Slack:
- In the Share In field, enter the name of the Slack channel where you want to post your data. Include the leading
#character. For example:
- In the Comment field, enter any text you want to include with the attachment.
- In the Filename field, enter a file name you want to give to the attachment file.
For Slack attachments, Looker also includes formatting and other advanced scheduling options.
- If you are scheduling a data delivery, once you have configured all the options, click Save All, and your query or dashboard will be delivered to Slack as scheduled. Or, if you are sending your data, click Send and your data will be delivered to your Slack channel.