I’ve made a new model,
model_2 in my LookML project, and I’d like my Looks to use this model. However, I built my Looks based off of an explore in
model_1. How do I take my existing Look and move it to
model_2, rather than creating a new Look from scratch?
Solution 1: Content Validator
The Content Validator is a tool that checks Looks and Dashboards for errors. But it also has a “Find and Replace” feature, which we can use here to change the underlying model for all Looks that use
Things to note about this method:
- The Content Validator is a labs feature which must be enabled in the Admin panel.
- The “Find and Replace all Looks” feature changes all Looks and dashboards on the Looker instance. To apply this change to only a few Looks, see the secondary solution below.
Solution 2: Edit the URL
To change the model for only a few Looks, we can take advantage of the fact that Looker keeps all the information about a query in the expanded URL. To access this, follow these steps:
- Click “Explore From Here” from the Look.
- Click the cog in the upper right of the Explore page.
- Select “Share”.
- Copy the Expanded URL and paste it somewhere else, like a new browser tab. (Don’t visit the URL yet, or Looker will hash it into a shortened URL.)
- Change the model of the URL. The URL takes the form:
- Visit the newly formatted URL.
- Save the explore as a Look.
This method can be repeated for each Look that needs to be changed!